FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions about Engine Oil and Lubricants
IGOL LUBRIFIANTS provides you with help in the field of vehicle lubrication,
specificities for engine oil, lubrication tips and other automotive fluids through this guide
also called FAQ (for Frequently Asked Questions or Frequently Asked Questions).
Our advice on lubricants, products for lubrication and car care are divided into four main themes detailed in the guide below.
Click on the subject that interests you to access explanations and aids allowing you to know more, our technical team is also available on
03 10 00 14 60 to bring you answers and solutions associated!
A. Engine lubricants: definitions, features and standards
1. What is an engine and parts lubricant?
2. What is a lubricant: role and function?
3. What are the advantages of IGOL lubricants?
4. Why is the viscosity of an automotive lubricant important?
5. How should you select the viscosity of a lubricant?
6. How to select the best grease or oil viscosity?
7. What are the specific standards required for a vehicle lubricant?
8. Advice on how to read IGOL lubricant labels
9. Material Safety Data Sheet: exact definition of an MSDS
10. IGOL also provides REACH information
B. Engine oils: advice, changing, level and comparison
11. Should different lubricants be mixed?
12. Why is it important to maintain the correct oil level?
13. Why and how often should you change your engine oil?
14. What is the difference between mineral oil and synthetic oil?
15. What are the benefits of synthetic oil?
16. For optimal engine lubrication and lubricants, IGOL recommends…
C. Grease: grades, advice and EP additives
17. IGOL advises you on how to choose a grease, including one with a NLGI grade
18. What are the NLGI grades used for grease classification?
19. How to choose the best viscosity for a fat?
20. Can you damage a bearing by using the wrong grease?
21. How do I know if I should use a grease with or without EP (extreme pressure) additives?
D. Other automotive fluids: use and recycling
22. Do automotive lubricants have an expiry date?
23. Can motor oil be used in a gearbox?
24. Should you use specific/special oils for a particulate filter (DPF)?
25. Are there standards and regulations for the recycling of waste oils?
26. Is there a difference between 2-stroke and 4-stroke lubricants?
27. Coolant: mixing, differences and compatibility?
28. Are there differences between brake fluids?
To help you in a complementary way in your research or your navigation, we also propose you the sections: